australianplanet.com
we are in
AustralianPlanet
australia's search engine

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Tutti Fruitti and all that

I got up and carefully placed all the props that would be needed for the morning's shoot by the door. The crew were shooting at Tutti Fruitti, a little fruit shop cum cafe all on its own in a field of fruit trees and vines, just a little up the road from Madison's. (Kylie and I had scoped out this place over a year ago and got permission to film there). Hot and cold breakfast was well underway - I got the sense of a juggernaut having started rolling - nothing I could do to halt it or even control it from now on - and that's OK! I went into the kitchen: Neil and Shirley-Anne were hard at work. Shirley-Anne is our other marvelous NZ friend who agreed to cook. She let Neil go with me for the getting of the minivan.

We drove down the mountain and found Freeman's Reach, a typical little Hawkesbury town, and the garage, run by a cheerful Indian couple who confessed they watched Bollywood movies but turned the sound off when the songs came along - and they wanted to make movies in Australia too! The minivan was actually pretty big - a 14 seater. Neil and Rose drove my car back while I drove it back to Tutti Fruitti where shooting was well underway. The scenes were on different days in the script, which meant that the shop had to be completely redressed between takes. One scenario calls for an almost bare and gloomy shop pre-Yowie hoax - and the other has the shop filled with cheerful Yowie merchandise once the hoax has got underway. So the art department and I had to work overtime. Our art department were very professional and photographed everything beforehand so they could replace every thing when we left. A very chic journo turned up from The Hawkesbury Gazette and snapped away at everything. We gave her a press release - can't wait to read the article.

After lunch back at Madison's we started to film in the caravan; hauled to the site on a flatbed truck by Kylie's uncle. Its wheels were kaput - we could not move it at all. The windows were blacked out and 'Bill' got to reminisce in there with a bottle of whiskey (the director preferred the art department's fake bourbon to my bright red bottle of 'Get Younger' Nigerian scotch). Then we moved to a huge sloping area of rock out beyond the Boer goat paddock. Here we filmed scene one (the dream - not a flashback) where Bill 'sees' Marge. Marie had been dragooned into playing Marge and stood on the rock looking wistful. Then we had a scene where Kevin/Chewbacca screams in frustration at Bill. This went spectacularly well as a storm was brewing and the late afternoon golden light contrasted well with the darkening sky and low angle shots. With the last light I had to get into the Yowie suit and throw the Chewbacca head around as I leap up the rocks (final scene). I couldn't see a thing as the eyes fogged up. It was also the first time for years that I'd worn contact lenses! It was virtually dark, and the suit split every time I moved up the rock. I hoped it looked good on film cause it sure didn't feel good in there. The last of the packing up was done in complete darkness; the crew coming up through the bush to a little track where the cars were parked. I was parked up in the paddock beyond the gate and stayed there with my headlights shining into the back of the lighting truck as the boys packed it all up.

Dinner was a marvel of Italian and Greek dishes, salads and desserts (Shirley-Anne's husband is Greek). Everyone was tired but elated. Next day was going to be huge. I left, though many of the others stayed and partied; meantime I spent several hours repairing the Yowie and Chewbacca suits before bed. Marie, Neil and Shirley Anne cleaned up the common room and kitchen.

1 comment: