australianplanet.com
we are in
AustralianPlanet
australia's search engine

Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Yowie emerges...

So this is how it goes: a film festival is advertised, we send off the Yowie and hope for the best. Well it's working, people! There is a short film festival broking site called withoutabox and they tell me of all the upcoming film festivals. For the privilege of pressing a few buttons on my computer the Yowie is entered online. Disadvantages are the quite onerous sign-up process (lots of info needed) and the fact that every time you enter your credit card is stung between 30 and 50 dollars US. Ouch! My credit card is squealing and covered in stings. But onwards and upwards: the Yowie has been selected for the finals of the The Canberra Short Film Festival. My home town! Yes, I know it's not Tribeca but it's a start. There may even be a prize. I'm holding thumbs, and so is the yowie herself. She is also entered in Whistler, Hollywood, Beverley Hills, European, Sundance and good old Flickerfest in Bondi beach! Should score at least one of those. All the potential kudos may help generate funds for The White Feather next year.
?...continued/ - We've just come from the finals. What can I say without it sounding like a joke? So, with a straight face, here goes: the winner of the open national category was about a guy torturing another guy in a Tasmanian swamp. Not kidding. Winner of the Canberra section (ours) was a guy who writes angry letters to people who misspell his name on envelopes of junk mail. Go figure. Any, enough sour grapes. One thing I can say is I enjoyed the People's Choice awards in all three categories - what a relief, I was beginning to think I was weird. The people have spoken....

3 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed the shorts - looks great! Good luck. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful bit of Australiana; as an expat, I bawled my eyes out. no better endorsement, Laurence, hope you make many more. When is your first feature coming out??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurence here: Love to direct a feature - got two great scripts ready to go. Anyone want to fund me and make millions?? Post a comment or check me out on face book. Laurence de B. Anderson

    ReplyDelete